Monday 29 April 2013

AFTER HAWKES BAY

After completing our cycling tour of Hawkes Bay, my wife and I stayed on in New Zealand and spent four days making our way back to Auckland.

 


































Prior to leaving Napier, we had a quick, early morning  meander around the CBD.  The above photographs depict in some part the Art Deco period on which Napier designed itself post the earthquake on the 3rd February 1931, which saw most of Napier levelled and the loss of 256 of it's inhabitants. I think it's the bold colours and striking architecture that appeal to me, although I can understand why it's not to every bodies taste.
  
The rest of the morning was spent motoring between Napier and Lake Taupo, which is only 143 km from Napier.

Yes! that is snow on the mountain and the smoke is coming from geo-thermal activity.

As we pulled into the Lake Taupo Hilton, I couldn't help but notice just how beautiful this area is and already wished we were staying more than one night. This stunning location provides an array of activities from walking trails, white water kayaking, para sailing, mountain biking, skiing and much, much more that is revealed by hitting on the following link Great Lake Taupo.




I've never been a fan of Hilton Hotels, I've found them to be a little cold and impersonal but when searching Wotif for accommodation I took the the Mystery Deal mainly because I've had success with it in the past. The mystery deal on this occasion was the Hilton and I have to say it was an excellent decision as it was anything but cold and impersonal. There wasn't one single point we could find fault with, the reception staff were welcoming and helpful as were the restaurant's bar and wait staff. Our large room fronted onto the pool and well equipped gym and as to be expected in a 5 star hotel had a very large King size bed which made for a comfortable night. The hotel itself was situated high on a hill next to a hot pool complex. When enquiring about the neighbouring hot springs, we were offered discounted tickets, bathrobes and towels.


I deliberately didn't take photos within the complex due to the number of young children that were there.

The offer was taken up and my wife and we ensconced ourselves in the hot mineral water for a couple of hours that afternoon. It was just what was needed to sooth some aching muscles.


Just another beautiful view of the Great Lake Taupo

The restaurant strip adjacent to the lake
 
I wonder what skills are required to park a DC3 between two shops in the CBD?
 
As I previously stated, we could have spent more time here but unfortunately, not on this trip.

After lunch in a cafe adjacent to the lake, immersing ourselves in hot mineral water, a splendid dinner and wine in the Hilton restaurant and a good night's sleep we were off on the next leg of our tour.

Cheers and safe riding,


Jimmy Bee



 

No comments:

Post a Comment